Saturday, April 19, 2008

Adoption Survival Kit

Each year for Vacation Bible School I assemble a Survival Kit for all my workers to hold on to through the week. Well, this has inspired me to create a Survival Kit for Waiting Adoptive Parents. So, here it is. It is really cool to gather the items and place in a box or ziploc bag and when you are feeling despair in this journey, pull it out and remind yourself of what each item stands for.

PAP Survival Kit
  • Rubberband: To remind us of FLEXIBILITY in all stages of the process
  • Marble: So that when we have lost all of ours, we will still have at least one left
  • Pretzel Twist: Resembles praying hand, to remind us of prayer
  • Smile Face sticker: To help us keep a positive attitude
  • 100 Grand Bar: because our children will be worth MORE than that
  • Balloon: To help keep our spirits inflated
  • Kleenex: For the really hard days
  • Bandaid: To help heal our heartaches
  • Aspirin: To help heal our headaches
  • Gift bow: To remind us that our child(ren) will be the best gift ever
  • Gluestick: To help put ourselves back together after we fall apart, for the 100th time!
  • Nosespray: To unstop our noses after we have cried for hours!
  • Your favorite candy bar: Because when all else fail, eat chocolate! (Be sure to replace it for the next time you need it! hehehehe)

Hope you enjoy my little "kit". I am going to assemble mine and keep it with in reach for the days that I need it. Just wanted to share. If anyone has any ideas for additional items, I would love to add them to my kit! Happy Saturday!

13 comments:

Hiking Mama said...

I love this! How cute are you! I must get one of these kits :)

Anonymous said...

How cute and what a great idea!

Major Mom said...

Oh Melanie--You have such a tender heart. i am praying for your Kaylee to be revealed to you soon. You are going to be a great mom and I don't know if there will be another little one more loved or longed for than her.

Anonymous said...

That's so adorable! I think you have a home business brewing...

Cinnamon said...

What a cute idea! I love to have tangible items to help me remember things. Thanks for the comment on my blog. It it nice to know their are others who can relate to your situation.

Brandy said...

That is SO GREAT!!! It could be modified to work in ANY situation!!! If you don't mind me using your idea, please leave me a comment!

Kelli said...

This is a fantastic survival kit. Such a well thought out list! I would have to buy my chocolate at Sam's so I could replace it on a daily basis!

April said...

AWESOME!!

R&H said...

So true!!
I think about you everyday. I know exactly how you are feeling. I watched many many families bring home their babies, and we waited entire YEAR longer than most of my adoption friends. I know you know this-but it's worth the wait. Every single day brings you one day closer to your baby. You aren't just waiting for A baby, you are waiting for YOUR baby. Before you were even born God picked this child out for you and knew that you'd be together someday. Trust that. He is listening and answering you!

Selwyn van Rooyen said...

Melanie you are the best! Keep your head up, your Kaylee is coming. You are in my prayers

Tammy said...

That is so cute! I especially like the chocolate idea.....
Isn't neat how our little ones are born and alive in our hearts and we just don't know who they are yet? What an awesome day that will be! :-)

dwayne and melanie said...

Regina Norvell-
Your blog is locked. Email me at zotdachs@comcast.net.
Melanie

Amanda said...

what an adorable idea!! i just may have to make one myself!!