Friday, May 16, 2008

What is patience?

I have learned to never ask God for patience in waiting, because He will make you wait to gain patience.

Patience defined:
  • The bearing of provocation, annoyance, misfortune or pain without complaint, loss of temper, irritation or the like.
  • An ability or willingness to suppress restlessness or annoyance with delay
  • quiet, steady perserverance, even-tempered care, diligence
  • the capacity of enduring hardship or inconvenience without complaint

Wow, I never thought of part of patience as "without complaint". What things in life are we really patient with? Waiting at a restaurant, waiting at the redlight, waiting for that ever important document to come in the mail. Oh, and the biggie- waiting for the referral!

This waiting is Hard, really, really hard. Through this journey, though, I have learned patience. I have learned so far to bear the current misfortune without complaint or loss of temper, but I won't say that I haven't been frustrated. I do try to suppress my annoyance about the delay we are experiencing and I have gained diligence and a quiet steady perserverance to achieve adopting our daughter. I thank God for where He has put us in this journey. You know, without this trust and waiting, I wouldn't have had to turn to God as much as I have. This journey is definitely one for the books.

I do know one thing. I know that one day my daughter will know how much she was loved, how long we waited for her, and that we were picked especially for her. I don't mind the wait when I set my eyes on the prize and know that she will be worth it all. I love her to the moon and back already. She has stolen my heart. She will be worth the diligence, perserverence and the endurance. When we finally see her little face, all of this waiting will be a distant memory. However, I do know that comes with a whole new set of patience and waiting.

No comments: